Saturday, October 3, 2015

Yvonne Jones, A Time To Heal: The Struggles of a Battered Woman on: "He said he'd kill my family."

      One statement we have all heard and possibly have said is, "you can talk about me all you want, but don't talk about or hurt my family." This is one of the main reasons a woman continues to stay in an abusive relationship. The sad part is, most of the time, the threats are real and are usually carried out even if the woman decides to leave.
     So many times she feels that it would just be much easier to stay than to get her family involved and take a chance on one of them being hurt or killed. This is also another reason why many women will not tell anyone that they are being abused.
     How many times have you been around someone who has a black eye, burns, and bruises on their body and the only thing they can come up with is, "I fell down the stairs."
     I didn't tell anybody including my family, that I and my son were being abused. If I had, they would have done everything they could possibly think of to get us out.
     Would I have left if daddy had known about the abuse and came to take me home? I wish I could say yes, but most likely I would have stayed, simply because I love my family too much to take a chance on getting them hurt or killed.
       Staying was the wrong choice back then, just as it is today. My daddy had no idea that I or my son were being abused and I knew the threats were real, but that choice cost me the life of my son. It also caused me to lose my other son to adoption.
       Listen friends, abuse is not something you compromise about. Unless God intervenes, the abuse is not going to stop, its only going to get worse. The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave because you will become more and more convinced that what you are doing is best for everyone.
       I stayed until I became like a little child simply just doing whatever he told me to do. There are ways to protect your family, there is help, but you have to be the one to take that first step to get it.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment